Flexible installation and data communication for Class 1, Division 1 environments
The 2151P Flow System is similar to the 2151 intrinsically safe Area Velocity Flow Meter, but is designed to operate from AC power for long-term or permanent applications rather than from battery power for shorter-term, portable applications. Like all 2100 Series modules, the 2151P is set up via connection to a computer running Flowlink Software.
The intrinsically safe design of the 2151P module and flow sensor allows them to be installed in Class I, Division 1, Groups C and D hazardous locations. The concept of intrinsic safety is to limit the energy available to a given circuit or device to a level where electrical discharge (sparking) cannot ignite the hazardous (flammable or explosive) atmosphere. With no spark ignition possible, the equipment can operate safely in areas with hazardous atmospheres.
The standard 2100 Series flow modules are designed so that you can expand or reconfigure a monitoring system by stacking modules. Because of safety requirements, the 2151P is not compatible with the direct stacking of additional 2100 series modules which are not intrinsically safe.
Other 2100 series modules, including the 2101 Field Wizard and 2103 Modem, can be connected via the Network Barrier Cable or Network Isolator.
Click the picture for a closer lookFeatures
• Rugged, submersible enclosure meets NEMA 4X, 6P and IP68 requirements.
• A 25-foot Communication Cable provides safe, in-the-field connection to a laptop computer with 9-pin sub-D serial port.
• The quick-connect Area-Velocity sensor can be easily removed and interchanged in the field, without needing recalibration.
• Chemically-resistant epoxy encapsulated sensor withstands abuse and resists oil and grease fouling as well as the need for frequent cleaning.
• High-capacity internal desiccant cartridge keeps the vent free of moisture during normal operation.
• Pressure transducer vent system automatically compensates for atmospheric pressure changes to maintain accuracy.
• Replaceable hydrophobic filter protects against water intrusion during submersion.
• Easy sotware upgrades. New operating software can be downloaded into non-volatile "flash" memory, without affecting stored program and data.
• Secure data storage. All data are continuously stored in "flash" memory to protect against loss in case of power failure.
• Records and stores input voltage data for future reference.
• Rollover memory with variable rate data storage lets you change the data storage interval when programmed conditions occur.
• 38.4k baud communication provides speedy setup and data retrieval.Benefits
Principles of Operation
Our Area Velocity flow modules use continuous-wave Doppler technology to measure mean velocity. The sensor transmits an ultrasonic pulse, then measures the frequency shift of pulses reflected by air bubbles and particles in the flow.
A differential pressure transducer in the sensor measures liquid depth to determine flow area. Flow rate is then calculated by multiplying the area of the flow stream by its average velocity.
To ensure proper application, the 2151P uses unique connectors that are compatible only with other intrinsically safe 2100 Series components.
A CSA-approved 12V DC intrinsically safe power supply is mandatory. Power is fed to the 2151P through an attached cable from the safe area.
Remote flow monitoring is possible through the use of Isco’s 2103 Modem Module or 2108 Analog Output Module.Applications
• Open channel flow measurement in Hazardous Locations (Class I, Div. 1, Groups C & D)
• Level measurement in explosive or potentially explosive areas, such as manholes, digesters and storage tanks
• Measure shallow flows in small pipes. The low-profile Area Velocity sensor minimizes flow stream obstruction and senses velocity in flows down to 1 inch (25 mm) in depth.
• Permanent flow monitoring
• Remote flow monitoring.